Permission to Speak
Video Blog & Podcast
Hosted by Leadership Communications Expert Kelly Vandever
Permission to Speak is the video blog and podcast that loiters at the intersections of leaders who want their people to speak up, technology that facilitates connections, and results that serve an organization’s higher purpose.
Our guest for this episode: Kevin Monroe
– The importance of leadership to people’s lives
– Women leaders
– Living into your higher purpose
– The longing for significance
– What do you do that makes time just fly by
– What do you get angry about
– If you won the lottery, what would you want to do
– Finding what you’re wired to do
– Company’s connecting people to purpose
– Heathman Lodge as an example of an organization who lives into their purpose
– When people are working in alignment with their purpose, they’re happiest, are more engaged and have higher levels of energy
– Number 1 indicator of engagement is the discretionary effort people give to the organization
– Servant Leadership, Robert Greenleaf
– Kevin’ definition of Servant Leadership is: People centered approach to life and leadership that puts the needs, growth and development of others ahead of those of the one leading
– You don’t have to be a servant leader boss to be a servant leader boss
– Kevin’s three primary elements of servant leadership: (1) Empathy (2) Listening (3) Authenticity
– Gary Ridge CEO of WD-40, co-author of Helping People Win at Work
– Dave Ridley, Southwest Airlines
– What you do outwardly is authentic when it’s a reflection of your inward desire. Authenticity is the intersection of values, intention and action.
– Simon Sinek Leaders Eat Last
– It’s a journey. Companies that do well when they find ways to encourage leaders and make it a constant discussion.
– Emphasis on values: Where do you see our values in action?
http://kevindmonroe.com – See home page to link to the Higher Purpose Pathway
Kelly Vandever is a leadership and communications expert who helps leaders and organizations thrive in today’s attention-deficit, entertain-me-now, wait-while-I-post-that-on-Facebook world. Connect with Kelly and discover how being professionally human can bring you better business results.
Contact Kelly by phone at 770-597-1108, email her or tweet her @KellyVandever.